+44 (0)203 882 3088
About Matthew Amey
Matthew has been a Director since 2005 having previously worked as an underwriter for a market leading litigation insurer. Since that time Matthew has been at the cutting edge of developments in litigation insurance and funding both nationally and in other jurisdictions around the world.
With over a decade of experience arranging funding and insurance for litigation matters, Matthew has been an expert commentator on the state of the industry at legal conferences and in several publications, including national press.
As a ‘go to’ contact for several international law firms, Matthew has brokered some of the largest insurance programs for own sides costs as well as adverse costs in existence for some of the most complex commercial disputes litigated in today’s market.
Matthew established a reputation for creating successful portfolio facilities for professional negligence claims on behalf of several lenders following the banking crisis in 2008. Since then, during a period of impressive international growth in demand for arbitration funding, Matthew has unlocked funding conundrums for private equity firms and other investors pursuing billions of dollars of claim value in arbitral forums such as ICSID, ICC, LCIA, SIAC and NAFTA.
Given his extensive experience, Matthew has brokered dozens of funding and/or insurance arrangements for multi-claimant cases which frequently involve tailoring the solutions to meet the needs of potentially diverse sub-groups facing individual challenges in the context of a wider generic background.
- Brokered £6m policy to meet security for costs order for claim with over half a billion USD in English High Court.
- Arranged innovative funding and insurance package for shareholder in a minority shareholder petition for client pursuing a media company
- Arranged litigation insurance for a group of 200+ businesses and local authorities in major action in English High Court.
- Secured litigation funding for group of pensioners in a fraud claim worth multi-millions
- Arranged funding and insurance for investor against a sovereign state pursuing an Energy Charter Treaty claim through an ICSID arbitration.
- Arranged funding for a private equity firm pursuing a breach of confidence claim against a multi-billion hedge fund.
- Brokered a policy for £3m in relation to a price-fixing cartel claim
- Secured a multi-million pound litigation insurance policy on behalf of the bankers instructing Mishcon de Reya in their High Court and Court of Appeal actions against Commerzbank.
- Brokered a financing package for a consortium of commercial clients in their bi-lateral investment treaty claim against a European sovereign.
- Brokered an insurance hedge for a law firm acting under a contingency fee arrangement in an ICSID arbitration.
- Brokered a $3m litigation insurance policy on behalf of a substantial commercial client pursuing losses suffered as a result of a price-fixing cartel.
- Secured significant litigation insurance capacity on behalf of a client pursuing a high profile shareholder dispute.
- Secured litigation insurance on behalf of the successful claimant in Gill v RSPCA  EWCA Civ 1430, in relation to both the first instance and Court of Appeal actions.